The Heart of a Father


The Heart of a Father

If you are Catholic and live in the west side of Houston, chances are quite high that you know a man by the name Allan Klenke. Allan is the third of four boys and spent most of his childhood life in San Antonio, Texas. He attended the University of Kansas for undergrad, where he studied business and played soccer. Then, he went to the University of Notre Dame to earn his MBA, which ultimately led him to meet the love of his life, (and my mother) Connie Klenke.

Connie and Allan moved to Houston and gave birth to a sweet daughter named Shannon. And from there, the kids. kept. coming. Now the father of seven, Allan can be found either at work for UBS downtown or at a [insert sport name here] field around the city of Houston supporting one of his children. Allan’s personal loves include Notre Dame football, Kansas basketball, the Tour de France, and Razorback track and field races. He also likes Shiner Bock Beer and going for a run. Don’t try to talk to Allan while he is reading the newspaper—he isn’t ignoring you, it’s just not the right time. But, if the grill is on out back, its pretty much his way of saying “Come share your life stories with me.”

All gests aside, Allan is a truly devoted individual, who is always ready to inspire you to go live your dreams. In fact, he is the reason I am writing in the first place. Without his words of encouragement, I would not have studied as hard or ran my way into a division one track program. He is naturally gifted in bringing out the best in others-- a true gift for a father of so many.

At the same time, he has the keen ability to accept you as you are. He constantly, vocally assured me that his love for me was not because of my success in sports or school. His love is authentically centered on the individual and flows forth from his relationship with the Lord.

Somewhere in my childhood days, Allan began to tune his heart away from the things of this world and set his mind on the things above. He started to pray more, attended daily Mass at the downtown chapel, and loved to go to confession in different churches across the country on business trips. This faith sustained him through a multitude of waves in life, including the 2008 recession, when UBS, the company he works for, lost roughly $3 billion in the course of 3 months. Though I remember Dad being more somber as he dropped me off at school those months and the following, I can say with certitude that he did not lash out more at home nor sit in sorrow—he persevered and trusted that the all would eventually turn around. And it did. I see that time as a period of stripping for my family. We had to live more simply. We took less fancy trips, had less extravagant Christmas gifts, and ate at home more. I realized recently, though, the first year we didn’t head out to ski spring break, we road tripped to see my great grandfather before he passed away. That same trip we also went to Arkansas, where I eventually ended up going to school. Finally, to this day, steak with potatoes at home with the whole family is by far my favorite meal.

In closing, my father always did and still does bring security and peace to my heart. I’ll share one of the greatest lessons my father taught me…the purpose of relationships. Dad always told me growing up that his deepest desire is to help my siblings and I make it to Heaven. What a beautiful, incarnational desire of the Father he expresses. While he strives to provide us a home on earth, he also understands that we will be ultimately safest and happiest in our ultimate home of Heaven.


Cheers to light of Allan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Woman, the Well, the Truth